African Women Entrepreneurship Cooperative AWEC 2019 APPLICATION
Closes on the 18th of December, 2018.
The African Women Entrepreneurship Cooperative (AWEC) is a one-of-a-kind, high-touch business and management development and learning program. Referred to as “a jewel of a program” by a global business school expert, AWEC focuses on applied learning and collaborative experiences to ensure immediate business impact and the creation of a pan-African network of entrepreneurs, experts and allies. AWEC was created by the Center for Global Enterprise (CGE).
Who Should Apply
AWEC embraces diversity and inclusivity. We encourage those who meet the following criteria to apply:
- Women who were born in and do business in any African country; members of the diaspora are welcome to apply, but their business or NGO must have impact on the continent
- Established entrepreneurs who demonstrate business clarity OR aspiring entrepreneurs with clear business concepts that they are committed to developing and implementing over the course of our 12-month program
- Those interested in advancing their business and management skills, as well as growing their companies and their leadership capabilities
- Self-starters who demonstrate passion, resilience, leadership, collaboration, and empathy
- Proficiency in English, which is the official language the program
- AWEC is open to women entrepreneurs working in any industry
Successful participants help to build our community by contributing their knowledge and experience, learning from others, and using what they learn to continue building their businesses and supporting the growth of fellow cohort members’ businesses.
Learn more about the structure of the program here.
Participants should expect to spend an average of 4 to 6 hours per week participating in AWEC activities (primarily online), for one year. When considering whether or not to apply, please keep in mind that this program is fast-paced and requires firm commitment to active learning and engagement. Participants are expected to engage in one AWEC activity every week.
Participants will receive strategic guidance and feedback from teaching assistants, mentors, AWEC staff, and world-class instructors as they navigate the curriculum.
There is no cost to participate in AWEC, but it is a fast-paced program that requires time, hard work and commitment to extract maximum value from the experience. We encourage all applicants to seriously consider the time commitment of 4 to 6 hours per week over 12 months.
Upon successful completion of the 12-month program, participants will:
- Form connections with a diverse network of African women entrepreneurs
- Establish a relationship with at least one senior business mentor
- Strengthen strategy, leadership and business management skills
- Apply their AWEC learning to their business with an eye toward sustainable growth
- Gain skills needed to grow and scale their enterprise
- Develop a toolkit of soft skills, including self-confidence, resilience, collaboration, and cross-cultural communications